The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:50 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Knight

Post subject: Middlegame help
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:28 pm 
I have found that without having an opening repertoire, I can usually figure out book openings on my own by using basic chess principals. When I review my games lately it is surprising to me that I stay with book moves for as long as I do. My game usually falls apart in the middle when I misunderstand the position, and embark or a bad idea. I have had good luck with chessbase software. Does anyone have any suggestions for middlegame trainers/software, or anything that might help me?

scott

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:13 pm 
Hi Scott,

The training software depends on your skill level. Take a look at Steve Lopez's Chess Software Buying Guide:

http://www.chesscentral.com/buy-chess-software.htm

I might also suggest CT-Art 3.0 by Convekta:

http://www.chesscentral.com/software/ct ... actics.htm

I have heard of miraculous results from this program.

Knight

Post subject: Middlegame help
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:21 am 
Hi dr soggy,
Does what you describe mean that you can work out the book moves but not their link to the typical middlegame plans and tactical motifs ? This I think is the key point of good opening preparation i.e. what happens after the theoretical moves. It may also mean that the area for improvement is the assessment of positions and the elements that should direct you to the right plan, both dynamic and static. I would recommend Reassess Your Chess by Jeremy Silman.
All the best.

User avatar  Offline
Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:49 pm 
Both good starting points! Thanks for the advice. What a great link. Steve Lopez always writes good articles. I've read the Silman book years ago, but I don't think I was ready for it. I bet its time for a re-read. Maybe I will be much more helpful this time.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:03 am 
Very interesting subject

I'm about 1200-1300 elo and sometimes (often in closed game) i'm stuck and i know there's is a right moves (always is...) but i just can't figure it out...

The software you're talking about (CT-Art...) does it show only basics or more complex position?

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:00 pm 
Both! Starts fairly simple and works you up to teh complex.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:21 pm 
Shininggg wrote:
Very interesting subject

I'm about 1200-1300 elo and sometimes (often in closed game) i'm stuck and i know there's is a right moves (always is...) but i just can't figure it out...

The software you're talking about (CT-Art...) does it show only basics or more complex position?

CT-Art lets you set your own level, and then gives you exercises going with that level. You can also pick the level (and/or the themes) manually, ranging form level "10 points per exercise" to "70 points per exercise".

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]