The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:50 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: question on Edward Lasker's book "Chess Strategy"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:07 pm 
I have a question regarding Edward Lasker's book "Chess Strategy." You can look at the book here http://s114525511.onlinehome.us/chess/0 ... rategy.pdf

My problem is in the third and first line of the fourth paragraph on page 182. They are working off of the board layout shown on 178. I can't seem to get the pieces to move the way they are saying they should. It just wont work. Im not sure if after paragraph three you are supposed to reset the board to the position found on page 178 or not. Just once I get to the first line of the fourth paragraph the moves eventually get messy and don't work. Any one that could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:15 pm 
Pieces are supposed to move in a pdf document?

Or are you trolling?

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:43 pm 
I think the poster means the lines don’t make sense if you follow them on a chess board. They do, but you need to follow them from the previous two paragraphs onwards. I’ll post the pic and then see if we can work this out:

EDIT: OK, I’ve worked it out. I had exactly the same problems with pieces not going where they should, then I realised I had automatically approached the old descriptive notation as I do the algebraic. The problem comes with this line: “The most natural plan is to develop the QB at K3”. I kept moving the Black Bishop on c5 to e3. But old–style descriptive notation numbers the rows 1–8 inclusive from both ends! So what to Black means King 3 actually looks, from White’s perspective, like King 6.

In other words you want to move the c8 Bishop to e6. So after the first line you get the diagram looking like this:

Then it goes like this:

2 Nd5 B×d5
3 e×d5 Ne7
4 B×f6

which leaves the board looking thusly:

RE–EDIT: Turns out I’ve bumped up a VERY old topic. Oh well… Just call me Herbert West :wink: (Re–animator)!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]