The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:48 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

King

Post subject: Play Popular Openings?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:33 am 
When I was young, I was an ambitious chess player who played on board 1 of our team. I worked hard to build an opening repertoire and as Black I preferred sharp openings like the Budapest, the Marshall, the Schara-Henning and the Jaenisch Gambit, the Gruenfeld and certain sharp lines of the Sicilian Defence. I played all these openings before they became really popular or my lines were refuted. In those years practically nobody at club level played the Budapest or the Gruenfeld. My opponents, who were quite strong - some of them had won regional championships - had a basic knowledge of these openings and I was happy when they played the main lines. But as I was better prepared, I won the vast majority of my games with Black.

With White I was not quite so successful, as I played the traditional openings: the Ruy Lopez, The Queen's Gambit and the Italian Game (Two Knights Defence) and many of my games ended in a draw.

Later, with the arrival of good books and databases, my opponents were better prepared and I had to give up all my openings with Black. I just could not keep up with the memorization of all the variations. So I turned to less popular openings: the English Defence (with which I was very successful), the Scandinavian (not so popular when I started playing it),
and the Dutch (when I wanted to play a very sharp game),

As White I began playing the English Opening, where you don't have to memorize so many variations and strategy is more important.

When you do not have much time to study chess openings, I would not recommend to play popular openings because you must be very well prepared and keep up with the latest theory. Also I would not recommend to play popular openings if you are a beginner or inexperienced player. You should play openings where strategy is important (like the Exchange Variation of the Queen's Gambit) and study middle game strategy. Nowadays the sharp openings are no longer for amateurs.

:( :cry:

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject: Re: Play Popular Openings?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:50 pm 
One of the problems many Chess players have is that they play against what I like to call books.

These people have studied ALL the lines, no matter what you do, they will start with an advantage at the beginning if you play common openings

One thing that I would recommend to everybody is to try crazy moves, these will drive them crazy.

Not only by playing weird openings you will improve your game play, but you will improve your chess skills and the ability to be more unpredictable.

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]