The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:17 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Rook

Post subject: Decent book on the Czech Defence
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:10 pm 
Hi All

I’ve got a very difficult next round in my club championship (I’m black against someone graded 40odd ECF points higher than me, and who holds several one-on-one victories over an IM) If I play my usual Sicilian against his 1.e4 its already over as he is an expert in playing both sides of it.

My only slim chance is to prepare a surprise weapon against him and I’ve decided on revisiting my old friend the Czech Pirc - it was a system I used for years but gave up on because I found it hard to press for anything but a draw in certain lines - obviously that’s not a problem here, a draw will do just fine!

I’m hoping he will get over confident and try to wipe me off the board with White’s most aggressive try: 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 c6 4.f4 when after 4...Qa5 there are several horrible traps White can fall into.

My only problem is I can’t for the life of me remember what book I originally got the opening idea from! I’ve searched my chess library over the weekend, including 2 boxes of books I’d decided were obsolete and stored in the attic - a big fat NOTHING - I’ve leant or given away various books to club members over time, and all I can think of is it must have been in one of them.

So all I’ve got to study from now is Andrew Martin’s DVD which is quite frankly full of holes (I’m pretty sure I once even found a line he recommended in the video, which actually lost a piece! Though watching it back I can’t see it now).

So can anyone recommend a good book that covers the Czech? All I can find is Semi-Open Games by Attila Schneider which frankly sounds a bit sketchy!

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]