The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:52 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Rook

Post subject: Strange line in the Sicilian Dragon, Yugoslav attack
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:34 pm 
Hi All

I’ve recently been playing a CC game online and my opponent played a strange 9th move in the Sicilian Dragon (I was white).

The line goes as follows: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 0-0 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 e6

I just went with status quo and played 10. 0-0-0 My opponent didn’t move again in the game and got timed out, but I assumed d5 was coming next, or in the near future. I’m just wondering if castles queenside was my most flexible choice? - the move 9...e6 isn’t in my book on the Dragon and I can’t find very many (and no GM) games where it was played - this says to me it can’t be very good, what do we all think?

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Strange line in the Sicilian Dragon, Yugoslav attack
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:47 am 
Norman_T_Whitaker wrote:
Hi All

I’ve recently been playing a CC game online and my opponent played a strange 9th move in the Sicilian Dragon (I was white).

The line goes as follows: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 0-0 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 e6

I just went with status quo and played 10. 0-0-0 My opponent didn’t move again in the game and got timed out, but I assumed d5 was coming next, or in the near future. I’m just wondering if castles queenside was my most flexible choice? - the move 9...e6 isn’t in my book on the Dragon and I can’t find very many (and no GM) games where it was played - this says to me it can’t be very good, what do we all think?

I think you're right -- an upcoming second pawn break would be the only reason why he'd block his own Bishop.

You're also right about the lack of GM games with 9...e6. After doing some digging I found several 10...d5 games, and one guy who played it was named Krivolapov. So you know the move's gotta be good -- he just sounds like a chessplayer. :D

User avatar  Offline
Rook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:30 am 
Steve Lopez wrote:
Norman_T_Whitaker wrote:
Hi All

I think you're right -- an upcoming second pawn break would be the only reason why he'd block his own Bishop.

You're also right about the lack of GM games with 9...e6. After doing some digging I found several 10...d5 games, and one guy who played it was named Krivolapov. So you know the move's gotta be good -- he just sounds like a chessplayer. :D

Yeah I saw that one - Krivolapov is a cool chess name I have to agree!! :lol:

Someone else tried the same move on me at a blitz congress over the weekend - all he got for his trouble was to end up with an isolated pawn (just played 11.exd5 then we traded Knights) then I went ahead with the same basic idea of the Kingside pawn storm, which was even better for white because the black Queenside counter-attack was delayed - so the conclusion, 9…e6 not a great move :wink:

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:53 pm 
Interesting. A little bizarre too. See, as a fire–breather myself I would answer your 9th move with 9. …Bd7 because it sets up an opposing, long–range force. I shall tell you what does bother me about the Yugoslav attack: when White long castles a move early! 9. O-O-O :evil:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]